New grounds dating
The elms were planted in 1762 by Major Adino Paddock and John Ballard and reached ten feet in circumference by 1856.
The walk under the elms was known as "Paddock's Mall," while the rest of the grounds were devoid of any trees at all.
Franklin's father was Josiah Franklin, originally from Ecton, Northamptonshire, England, and his mother was Abiah, who was born in Nantucket and was Josiah's second wife.
In January 2009, a previously unknown crypt was discovered when a tourist on a self-guided tour through the cemetery fell through the ground into what appeared to be a stairway leading to a crypt.
He went on to hold other local offices such as tax assessor and highway commissioner.
When Boone died, he divided his estate between his wife and five children with his eldest son, Thomas, making Boone Hall his home.
Boone and his wife were ancestors of Founding Fathers Edward Rutledge and John Rutledge.
He was elected to the Grand Council during the 1680s but was removed twice because he illegally dealt in Indian slaves, associated with pirates, and concealed stolen goods.
The first major improvement was undertaken in 1830, when a number of trees were planted around the grounds.